What Do Gallstones Feel Like?

Gallstones are fairly common, affecting 10%-15% of the U.S. population. Of the nearly 1 million diagnoses each year, one-quarter of them require intervention because of symptoms that range from excessive burping to debilitating pain.

To help you recognize problematic gallstones, the surgical team here at Rockwall Surgical Specialists pulled together the following information on gallstones — how they form, what they feel like, and when you might need treatment.

Gallstones 101

Your gallbladder is one of those small organs you rarely give a second thought to unless there’s a problem. Located underneath your liver, your gallbladder stores bile to help with your digestion. If you accumulate too much cholesterol in your bile, small stones can develop, which is what accounts for 80% of gallstones. The other 20% are made up of calcium salts and bilirubin.

In most cases (80%), the stones pose no problems and simply exist without your notice inside your gallbladder, which is why we refer to them as silent gallstones. If, however, they get lodged in a duct, they can cause some very uncomfortable symptoms that are difficult to ignore.

Common symptoms of problematic gallstones

When a stone gets lodged in a duct, it forms a blockage that creates what we call biliary colic. The primary symptoms of biliary colic include:

These symptoms can come on quite quickly, shortly after a stone is lodged in your duct. The pain can be quite severe and travel from your abdominal region — usually on the upper right side — to your back and right shoulder.

This pain can last for just a few minutes or linger over the course of several hours. If your pain is accompanied by a fever and jaundice, seek medical attention immediately.

Treating gallstones

The most effective treatment for problematic gallstones is gallbladder removal surgery, which is called a cholecystectomy. We understand that surgery may sound daunting, but we perform the procedure using the most minimally invasive techniques available to reduce your risks and recovery time.

The decision as to whether you undergo this surgery depends upon your symptoms, but please note that gallstones don’t go away on their own. If you only experience mild and sporadic symptoms, we may recommend a wait-and-see approach.

If, however, the discomfort is affecting your life, gallbladder surgery can provide you with much-needed relief. Rest assured, your body can still function without your gallbladder, so there are very few long-term implications.

If you have gallstones and you’re considering surgery, contact one of our offices in Rowlett, Rockwall, Greenville, Forney, and Terrell, Texas. After we evaluate your symptoms and take a look at the problem using advanced imagery, we can determine your next steps.

You Might Also Enjoy...

5 Natural Remedies for Acid Reflux

If, like millions of others, you struggle with acid reflux, there are many things you can do to better manage the condition that don’t involve medications or surgery, starting with the five tips we outline here.

Where Do You Fit on the Body Mass Index?

When it comes to assessing your weight, one of the frontline tools is the body mass index (BMI) calculator, which measures your body fat based on your height and weight. Here’s where your results fit in.

Should You Have a Colonoscopy This Year?

Deaths attributed to colorectal cancers have been dropping over the past several decades, and colonoscopies play a very large role in this decline. Here’s a look at when you should undergo this important cancer screening.

5 Tips for Preparing for Bariatric Surgery

The decision to undergo bariatric surgery typically isn’t one that’s made overnight but after years of trying, unsuccessfully, to lose weight. With that decision made, there are a number of things you can do to prepare so everything goes smoothly.

What Role Does My Thyroid Play in My Body?

Body temperature, metabolism, heart rate — these are just three of the many areas in which your thyroid plays a role. Here’s a look at the large influence this small gland has in your body.